Use fish oil to improve body composition and overall well-being. Fish oil includes the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA that will make you healthier in a number of surprising ways.
Fish Oil Improves Body Composition
Best known for reducing inflammation and improving blood flow, fish oil can ease stress. When stress goes down, body composition improves.
An interesting study compared taking 4 grams of EPA- and DHA-rich fish oil with the same dose of safflower oil. Results found that the fish oil produced significant fat loss and muscle building in healthy subjects after only 6 weeks. The participants weren’t even exercising—imagine the benefits if they were working out too!
The participants in this study had a decrease in the hormone cortisol after taking the fish oil. Cortisol is released in response to stress, and when it is chronically elevated, it can lead to fat gain. It also causes muscle loss, producing a worse body composition. High cortisol is also linked to higher mortality rates and may negatively affect cognitive function.
Get The Right Amount of Fish Oil for Body Composition
Getting adequate fish oil has implications for your body composition, brain, and overall well-being. Take away the following points about fish oil:
- The EPA and DHA fish oils are especially effective at increasing the body’s use of fat for fuel.
- Pick a fish oil supplement with at least 500 mg of both DHA and EPA. Balancing fish oil in the context of your overall diet is the best approach.
- Fish oil improves athletic performance, improving quickness and reaction time.
- Fish oil accelerates workout recovery, decreasing acute inflammation from weight training as well as chronic inflammation caused by high cortisol.
- Brain function is best when DHA fish oil makes up close to 20 percent of the fatty acids found in the brain. Fish oil is thought to prevent Alzheimer’s, ADHD, and improve overall cognition.
- Fish oil supports heart health, and because it lowers cortisol, it can help you feel calmer and less stressed.