Use magnesium to prevent high blood pressure and protect your heart. Magnesium has an all-around relaxing effect on the body, calming the nervous system. It allows the blood vessels to relax, leading to a healthier, lower blood pressure. Magnesium can also improve cholesterol profile.
Magnesium Lowers Blood Pressure Naturally
A scientific review shows that getting adequate magnesium can decrease blood pressure readings to a greater degree than taking a blood pressure lowering drug. In clinical trials, blood pressure lowering drugs are considered to be significant for reducing the risk of heart disease, heart attack, and stroke if they decrease systolic blood pressure of 2 mm Hg.
Magnesium does an even better job than medication: Across all studies reviewed, systolic blood pressure dropped by an average of 3 to 4 mm Hg and diastolic blood pressure dropped by an average of 2 to 3 mm Hg, both substantial decreases. The most notable drop in blood pressure came from taking a dose of 370 mg/day of magnesium.
The authors of the study make a few important points:
- Getting adequate magnesium can decrease blood pressure readings to the same degree as eating a very low salt diet or performing an exercise program.
- The average daily intake of magnesium in the Western world has declined from about 500 mg/day in the 1900s to closer to 175 mg/day.
- Low magnesium contributes to a number of stress-related health problems, including high blood pressure, inability to sleep, and poor blood sugar management.
- Other lifestyle behaviors that lower blood pressure include avoiding alcohol, working out at least three times a week, eating fruits and vegetables daily, and avoiding weight gain.
- The U.S. government recommends an intake of 320 mg/day for women and 420 mg/day for men, both of which may be low compared to what people need for optimal health. Experts recommend a magnesium intake of 10-12 mg/kg of bodyweight.
- When supplementing with magnesium, choose a high-quality magnesium chelate, such as magnesium glycinate or magnesium taurate.